Image from page 67 of “History of mediæval art” (1893)
Title: History of mediæval art
Year: 1893 (1890s)
Authors: Reber, Franz von, 1834-1919 Clarke, Joseph Thacher, d. 1920
Subjects: Art, Medieval
Publisher: New York : Harper & Bros.
Contributing Library: Boston Public Library
Digitizing Sponsor: Boston Public Library
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
apse was sometimes separated from the triumphalarch by an interposed transept, which in height and width was 32 EARLY CHRISTIAN AND BYZANTINE ARCHITECTURE. equal to the nave, and in length was either the same as the totalwidth of all the aisles, as, for instance, in S. Croce in Gerusalemme,S. Maria Maggiore, and S. Maria in Trastevere, or was projectedbeyond them so as to give the plan of the entire building the formof a cross, as in the old churches of S. Pietro, S. Paolo, S. Giovanniin Laterano, S. Prassede, etc. Even in the nave, with its manycolumns, the lack of architectural memberment was felt, and in thetransept this defect was still more apparent. With exception of afew windows, generally arranged to suit only the dimensions of thenave, the walls of the transept were quite bare, so that their ex-tended surfaces appeared painfully monotonous. The horizontalceiling above them was even more bald than in the body of thechurch. The apse received its name from the half dome by which
Text Appearing After Image:
Fig. 18.—Section of the Basilica S. Paolo, Rome. it was terminated; it was at first also called concha, tribuna, excdra,and chorus. It retained in great measure its original character,serving as the seat of the ecclesiastical officers: the bishop or chiefpriest of the church, with his attendants, taking the place whichthe praetor and his assessors had occupied in the forensic basilica.Generally the apse formed a projection upon the exterior of thebuilding, and had a separate roof; but sometimes it was enclosedby other rooms which presented a straight facade upon the rear.In rare instances, such as the Basilica of St. Reparatus in Orleans-ville, and the Basilica of Erment in Egypt, these supplementaryspaces were themselves provided with apses upon the east andwest. At times smaller apses were built as terminations of the sideaisles in the line of their axes; examples of this arrangement are: BASILICAL CONSTRUCTION. 33 S. Pietro in Vincoli, S. Clemente, S. Maria in Domnica in Rome,the
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.
By Internet Archive Book Images on 1893-01-01 00:00:00